Saturday, August 21, 2010

Borders just make things better!!!

About 1.5 years ago I took a class last minute that would teach me a few techniques like applique and new blocks I'd never done like the hourglass and pinwheel. Since it was a last minute class for me, I grabbed some fabric I had from a kit, took it to class, and had to find more fabric for my background areas. I didn't really love the selection I had picked after I'd sewn things together...so this quilt top has been sitting in a bag ever since. (I really disliked it...)

I pulled it out the other day, per request of my co-worker who got me into quilting. She suggested I add some borders and finish it and maybe I'd like it better after. Well...she was right. It's still not my favorite quilt ever but I like it much better now with the borders. Perhaps this will be a good one to practice my free-motion quilting!

Pattern: "Heart and Home Quilt of the Month" by Suzanne McNeill. Next time I will take more time on my fabric selection!!! :)


The flowerbox:

The heart:

The tree: (my favorite block!)

The house:

1 comment:

Rachaeldaisy said...

I think this is a beautiful quilt! There's something homey and cosy about it. I,m always amazed at how adding borders can totally change the look of a quilt, especially when doing medallion quilts.